06 February 2010

Snowcation Day 2, a.k.a. We're Not Gonna Protest!

So, everyone in the DC area is all frantic about the snow. I choose to accept it. Anything that gives me an excuse to stay inside and watch movies all day, and cancels swim lessons and might even cancel work on Monday, is super duper in my book. My stupid thesis and the fact that my house is a mess got a little bit in the way of my weekend of sloth, but I've managed to fit in quite a few movies too. And I'm sure you want to hear all about them!

I started Friday night with the esteemed PCU, as inspired by Erin quoting it on Facebook. This movie is awesome, and if you haven't seen it, I would highly recommend it. David Spade's best work not accompanied by Chris Farley, and you can never have too much of The Piven unless you count how many seasons of Entourage there have been. It's highly quotable, as well - it's the origin of the quote that serves as the title of this blog. Here, the trailer, if you've never seen it:






Saturday afternoon brought Walk Hard, a spoof of Walk The Line, which I've been meaning to rewatch since Sarah visited a few weekends ago and we watched one of the greatest scenes I've ever seen - when Dewey Cox meets the Beatles:





That scene will never, ever not be funny. "I know a song about an octopus!" Heh.


After a brief intermission for thesis-writing and cupcake-making for Kathy's mini-birthday party, the movie shows resumed. Next up - The Hangover, also known as the reason I walk around singing about tigers.


Kathy came over for dinner, as we were supposed to go out for her birthday that evening. Clearly, that didn't happen, so instead, I put an umbrella in her glass and told her it was a party. And I let her pick the movie. Since she has excellent taste, she picked Mamma Mia! You know what I love about Meryl Streep? That she's such an acclaimed actress, and that she's reached a place in her career where she can basically pick whatever the hell she wants to do. And she picks things like this. She clearly has fabulous taste. And also, I want to be Christine Baranski when I grow up.


Next up was a disc of Seinfeld episodes, including my first favorite episode (as in, the first episode to be my favorite one, not my favorite episode ever), The Parking Garage. I think of this scene every time I'm in a parking garage...




Sunday morning started with another Facebook-inspired choice. More than one of my friends had posted that they were watching Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. This is my favorite Marilyn Monroe movie, so I decided it would be next. Although, to be honest, I prefer Jane Russell's character to Lorelei, if only for this scene:




I also enjoy the part where Lady Beekman says "You'll find that I mean business!" and Dorothy says, "Oh yeah? Then why are you wearing that hat?" I want to be her when I grow up too.

Next, I chose For Your Consideration, in honor of Oscar season. You all may or may not know that I have coerced the Party Planning Committee at my office into having an Oscar party. Apparently no one was surprised when I suggested this. Can't imagine why. By why wouldn't you want to honor such fine cinematic moments as this?



The movie fest was paused after that, though, for it was the day of one of the greatest moments of the year. Yes, it was Puppy Bowl Sunday! My personal favorite was Jersey Boy, although Jake and Fava were quite the competitors as well.

Next, there was this football game on too. Last year there was one, and it was super awesome and we had a party and the Steelers won their sixth ring, and did I mention it was super awesome? This year, it wasn't nearly as exciting. Let me just tell you, football is not nearly as fun when you like both teams but don't have a preference between them. If you love one, you want the other to lose and you can yell at them. And if you hate one, you want the other to win, and you can yell at the one you hate. There's no one to yell at when both teams are fine! That being said, whenever they'd show Peyton Manning, I'd think of this. And I would be happy.



And so goes the weekend's television watching...stay tuned, because my work is closed Monday and Tuesday, and there's supposed to be more snow Tuesday night, so there will likely be another whole list of entertainment coming soon!

No comments: