10 February 2010

Snowcation Day 4, a.k.a. Like A Whirlpool It Never Ends

So, Tuesday morning was like the calm before the storm. Kathy and I started the day with another trip to Target, as she needed laundry detergent and I needed a present for my cousin, which I had forgotten to get on Monday. I also had to stop at my office to get some things that I'd left there and needed to work on my thesis, as never in my wildest dreams did I think we'd get Tuesday off of work too. (Little did I know I'd be sitting here writing this on the eve of my fourth bonus snowcation day!). I also went to the Post Office to mail said present to my cousin, and learned that Route 85 outside of the Buckeystown Post Office were the cleanest I'd seen in all of Frederick.


I returned home to battle the ice on the porch roof again. This time, I went at it with hot water, thinking I could get the heavy ice to melt faster. This seemed to help, but I think I'm still going to have to have someone look at it when this is all over (if this all ever ends). Grr.


After Roof Fight: Round Two, I sat down to grade more of my thesis documents and watch one of my favorite movies, Garden State. I can't find either of my favorite scenes on YouTube (when they're in the quarry and Large tells Sam not to mention knights around Mark, and when they're leaving the quarry and they play Only Living Boy In New York), but I did find this one, which is the reason that scene is so funny. And also, Jim Parsons is awesome. So there's that.





I had to pause Garden State to go over to Kathy's for dinner. Tricia had gotten her a cast iron pan for her birthday, and she invited people over for the unveiling and first use. She made paella, which was delightful (and I'm not just saying that because it had chorizo in it and I love chorizo).
We all stayed far later than we should have, given that about two more inches of snow had accumulated in the time we were there. That's right, folks - another snowstorm was coming! The two inches of snow, combined with the big, fluffy flakes that were falling, made it quite a scenic walk home.

However, it was more ominous than anything., given the condition of the roads before this snow started, and the fact that the forecast predicted another 10-15 inches of snow and wind and blizzardiness. A thought - is it bad when you hear that there's 10-15 inches of snow coming, and all you can think is "eh...that's not too bad." Stay tuned tomorrow to see if that forecast came true!

No comments: