06 February 2010

Snowcation Day 1, a.k.a. The Walk Has All Been Cleared By Now

So...it snowed a bit here this weekend. And by "a bit," I mean "multiple feet." If we lived somewhere like Michigan or Massachusetts or Alaska, this would not be an event. However, we don't. We live in DC, Land of the Snow Pansies. Although as snow freakouts go, this one was rather warranted. Roads covered with wet, heavy snow; 2-3 inches an hour during the worst part; and, apparently snow lightning. I was asleep when this happened, but people assure me that it was real. It started Friday afternoon around 11...this picture is from about 2 pm, after we had been released from work early, and I'd gone to pick my car up from the car-fixing people in Mt. Airy.
The snow still wasn't sticking too much - it was more like sleet. By about 4, it was starting to get a bit fluffier.
By the time it got dark around 7:30, there was enough snow to make good footprints (which I made going to the mailbox to send back a Netflix DVD. My So-Called Life, Disc 4, if anyone cares.)
Annnnd...then I woke up Saturday morning.
Yeah, there were like 20 inches by then. The trees were covered,and so was everything that was on my front porch, including the flip flops I leave out there for emergency purposes. I think this was the snow trying to be ironic...beach shoes covered in snow.




And the snow wasn't done yet - it kept snowing for the better part of the day.

It was up to 22 inches by lunchtime,and almost two feet at its lowest point by the time Kathy came over to retrieve her shovel that afternoon.




That afternoon, I shoveled the front walk, which took entirely too long. But luckily, the snow had pretty much stopped by then, so I only had to do it once. I am a firm believer in the "wait until it's done" school of snow shoveling. Sunday morning, the sun was out, glaring off of the snow, and the people were tunneling their way out as well.

So...now I'm holding out hope that the sun will melt everything off of my car and the surrounding area. This will likely not happen, but since I don't have to go to work tomorrow, I'm in no hurry to clean it off anway.

And now...time to make cookies like last time! I think I'm going to start calling these Snowstorm Cookies. Any votes on what shape to make them?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that you should make your snow storm cookies in ironic shapes... like summer time shapes. Flip Flops, Palm Trees, Boats... and then you should send them to Michigan... or deliver them to michigan

Ken said...

I vote for dinosaurs.

Leah said...

Ooh, I love both of those ideas! And I have cutters shaped like all of those things. Perhaps a menagerie of creatures will be best. I haven't made them yet, but since they closed my work for tomorrow too (yay!), there is still plenty of baking time. :-)