08 February 2010

Snowcation Day 3, a.k.a. My Snow-Called Life

So, work was closed Monday because of the Snowpocalypse. The lovely snow people decided this Saturday night, so I had plenty of time to plan how to continue the movie- and thesis-writing marathon. Sadly, neither of those things got much action on Monday, but I did get quite a few other things done. But first, a brief vignette from Sunday...kids, if you have an air-supported structure, it can only hold so much snow before it collapses. Case in point - the Hood College Outdoor Pool Bubble. Such a phenomenon has only happened two or three other times in my memory, and sadly, never in my presence. I am forever grateful to Danielle for capturing this phenomenon on camera:

You'll all be happy to hear that it is back up and in working order now. Not that it matters to me, because swim lessons have been cancelled all week because of the weather. Anyway...back to your regularly scheduled programming:

Monday began with my first excursion out into the world since Friday. I was really glad that I went and fetched my car from the car-fixing place in Mt. Airy on Friday, because the roads were awful, and I would not want to be the one responsible for driving my mother's car (which I had borrowed) into a snowbank. Tricia and I went to Home Depot, where I bought one of the last snow shovels they had (I had been borrowing Kathy's tiny car shovel, so I bought her a nice new one too); Target, where I replenished my baking supply and bought more hot tea (because that's what I am, a hotty); and then drove back by way of my office, the parking lot and surrounding areas of which were slushy death traps of doom. And every shopping place we went to was mobbed with people with cabin fever.

When I got back, I finally dug out my car. You'll note the giant pile of snow next to it. It took me like 2 hours.
The plows had come through to take care of the sidewalks, but they could only do so much. On the one sidewalk by my mailbox, they had just pushed it all into a giant pile, so if you wanted to get your mail, you had to either walk two thirds of the way there on the sidewalk and then go around into the street, or penguin yourself over the snow pile that is taller than I am.
I also spent a good hour and a half leaning out of my second floor windows with a shovel, smacking at the snow and trying to get it to fall off so it would stop making my gutter hang precariously off of the edge of the roof because of the weight of the ice. It was lovely. But sometime in that timeframe, I learned that work was to be closed on Tuesday as well. Yay!

That night, Kathy and I went to Tricia's to eat awesome cream of crab soup. Before it got dark and the roads started to freeze again, we went to the grocery store, which was rapidly running out of cheese,meat,
and more meat.
Also, Super Bowl cakes were on sale, since no one had made it to the grocery store the day before to buy them. I think there should've been a bigger discount on the losing team's cake, but there wasn't.
After that treacherous excursion, we returned home for the evening. Before and in between my regularly scheduled Monday night programming, I finished the last disc of My So-Called Life so I could mail it back to Netflix the next day. I maintain that Jordan Catalano is an idiot and I can't imagine what Angela saw in him, and I also have a crush on Brian Krakow. If that makes me a loser, then so be it. But I do like Ricky too, does that make me cool?! And then I went to bed, to rest up for another day of Snowcation.

No comments: