11 February 2010

Snowcation Day 5, a.k.a. Snowpocalypse Part II

Wednesday started bright and early with monstrous winds and a ton more snow. As of 8 a.m. when I got up, there were 8 additional inches on the sidewalk I'd shoveled, and snow was blowing everywhere.
I tried to take another measurement after the first movie of the morning (Clueless, in case you were wondering. "You see how picky I am about my shoes, and they only go on my feet!" Heh.), but when I opened the door, I was greeted with this:
Against my better judgment, I tried to open the door. It didn't go so well.
Luckily, when I shut the door, it knocked enough of the blown snow off the window, so I was able to get a decent picture through the door. Which is just as well, because a measurement probably wouldn't have been accurate because of the wind anyway.
I got another shot later in the day, after a bit of crazy wind that blew the snow around even more.
I spent the majority of the day working on my thesis. Unfortunately, that topic that Sarah had proposed didn't get approved, so I've been working on a new one. Actually, a series of new ones...a long story that usually involves me swearing about unclear expectations. But I decided that, in order to entertain but not distract myself, I'd put musicals on in the background. I have a few on DVD, after all ;-). I started with my movie theater record holder, Chicago. You all may remember January of 2003, when I dragged every single person I could get my hands on to the theater to see it.
Next was Moulin Rouge!, starring Ewan McGregor and his pretty pretty hair. I swear, I could listen to him sing this song all day long and it would never not be awesome.
Next, based upon a Facebook friend's recommendation, I watched Rent. As you may well know, I often want to smack the characters in this movie. Except Benny. I love Benny, and he's the only one of the group with any sense. I don't know why they won't just listen to him. And while the play is great, the movie is cringe-worthy in parts. And despite all of that, I can't not love this song. Maybe it's because it starts with Benny making sense (even if the rest of them are too stupid to see it).
Next was Dreamgirls, or as I call it, the movie Eddie Murphy should've won an Oscar for but didn't because Alan Arkin doesn't have a career full of crap and therefore won even though Eddie Murphy's nominated performance was better than his. Although this song of his reminds me of Jimmy on Seinfeld.
After Dreamgirls, it was almost time for primetime TV to start, so I put a Seinfeld disc on so I could easily stop it when American Idol and Modern Family started. It was quite a good disc, too, including "The Bubble Boy" and "The Opera," with Crazy Joe Davola, who amuses me endlessly. It was around this time that I got fed up with my thesis and stopped working on it. Instead, I made the cookies I talked about the other day. Martha Stewart is a genius, and this recipe is heaven. Especially when it's made to look like dinosaurs:

And so endeth the day of musicals, thesis-writing, and Jurassic baked goods. Stay tuned for the aftermath of Snowpocalyse Part II!

No comments: