02 July 2008

IDK, my BFF RJV?

So last night at the pool, my new BFF RJV (names and most identifying details omitted, but chances are you can figure out who I'm talking about) drove by the pool to say hello to me. I was in the pool, teaching a lesson to this kid who doesn't listen to a word I say, and I hear this, "Hey, Leah!" from the direction of the street between the pool and the gym. I look up, and it's him, waving from inside his car. What he was doing driving by the pool and the gym, I'll never know. (Actually, I had told him my schedule when he e-mailed me to tell me that he had been investigating The Matter I cornered him about at Reunion Weekend, so it wasn't a total surprise).

But anyway, he definitely tried to strike up a conversation with me while I was teaching. He was mostly asking about the class I'm taking, when it was, who was teaching it, etc. I'm assuming this was so he could stop by there, because he said he had learned things about The Matter that he wanted to explain to me. But while I'm talking to him - from in the pool - the kid has climbed out, is jumping in, splashing me, etc., and the mom is looking at me like I've gone crazy. I finally grabbed the kid and made her stop jumping, and I made her wave to him, and of course she wanted to know who he was, so I told her he was a very important person who worked for the school. Which he then rebuts by saying that he's not important at all, he's just a regular guy. Because THAT makes the fact that I interrupted my entire lesson to talk to a random guy in a car driving by look so much better. I did explain to the mom when we got out that I don't generally interrupt lessons to talk to strangers, and who he was, and she understood and was fine with it (she is not one of the standard obnoxious parents that I complain about). And I am very pleased that RJV remembered me enough to actually investigate The Matter I mentioned at Reunion Weekend. But yeah...I felt like an idiot. And I'm fairly disappointed that he didn't tell me to "stay cool" again.

On a related note, the following conversation took place during that same lesson, when I was trying to get the kid (who is notorious for not listening and talking her way out of doing things) to do a front glide or, as I call it, fly like Superman. I tell them that Superman is my friend, and he taught me to fly, so they want to learn to fly too.:

Miss Leah: OK, let's fly like Superman now.
Child M: Is Superman your friend?
L: Yes. Let's practice now.
M: Are you going to marry him?
L: Yes. Let's practice now.
M: Why aren't you married to him now?
L: Because he's off fighting crime. Let's practice now.
M: Oh. Why is he fighting crime?
L: Because there are bad guys. Let's practice now.
M: When are you getting married?
L: Tomorrow. Let's practice now.
M: Oh. Will he be done fighting crime then?
L: Yes. Let's practice now.


And then she finally did what I wanted her to do, only to be interrupted by RJV a few minutes later. Good times.

3 comments:

Ken said...

That kid sounds like my brother, Question Mark. Anyway, did RJV have any information about The Matter?

Leah said...

Nope. Although to be fair, I kind of cut off the conversation because I had a 5 year old jumping on me. I thought he might stop by my class tonight - he asked when it was - but we got out early, so if he did, he missed me.

Melissa said...

It totally took me like three minutes to figure out who your BFF RJV was (I knew the BFF, but had trouble placing RJV). Consequently, I blame the illness and the crazy. Absolutely one of the best pool stories to occur in recent times.