21 July 2008

Checkmate

So, the time has come for me to order new checks. I had perfectly good checks until my Tiny Regional Bank went and sold itself to Big Conglomerate Bank last year. This caused them to have to change account numbers and, very nicely, they issued a brand new box of checks to all of the former Tiny Regional Bank customers. Said checks were of the boring, generic, light blue variety. However, as I don't turn free stuff, I used the entire box, and this weekend, got to the point that I would have to order new ones.


Let me just tell you, there are quite a few interesting check choices out there. For instance, did you know that they have any number of Texas-themed check selections out there? Seriously, I found like 5 different sets, including one that contained this pretty picture right here:



There was also this set, which I'm sure Gloria Steinem uses for her banking needs. Entitled "Vanity Girlz," they are emblazoned with such words as "Drama Queen," "Diva," and the one pictured below:



Then there's this one, which I think Don Johnson probably designed while wearing a pastel-colored suit and fighting crime in Miami:


Let me just tell you, when I think of Pebbles Flintstone, the very first thing I think of is how appropriate a picture of roses would be as adornment for her checks. A dinosaur, a cave person, prehistoric art, heck no! Let's go with roses! I can't even look at this one. Precious Moments characters haunt my nightmares.You know what, Yay America and stuff, but if I were going to buy checks to honor my country, I would pick either 1. The Flag, or 2. Pictures of National Monuments and Memorials. Not both. Especially when constructed in such a haphazard way. "Hey, what makes our checks better than the other million flag checks out there? Let's slap a picture of Lincoln in the middle!"
Anne Geddes freaks the heck out of me. Where on earth does she find all of these babies? What self-respecting parent would offer their kid up for this type of torture? Although if any of those babies are boys, that'll be phenomenal blackmail in a few years. Mary, take note. Also, Geddes photographs always make me think of when Janine hung one of her prints in Joey's apartment on Friends, and Joey was telling everyone "It's a famous picture. Of a famous baby!" I believe that is also the episode where he ate potpourri.

When I go to Hawaii next month, I am praying daily that I don't run into anything even remotely resembling this:
Finally, there is this style, which is ever so appropriate when you are, say, paying your air conditioning bill during the sweltering summer months:
And with that...a Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!

2 comments:

Ken said...

What's wrong with you? Some of those are awesome! I would go with the Texas themed ones if it were me. My checks have a lone star on them.

Leah said...

I chose the Miami Vice ones.