09 July 2008

And YOU will be with Superman!

A brief follow-up to the previous story - I taught the same kid again last night. She apparently did not bring her listening ears, as I spent most of the time trying to get her to do someting, anything, close to what I wanted. And then she was mad because I told her we only had time to jump in once at the end of class (usually we jump twice), because she hadn't listened. She did impart upon me some very valuable words of wisdom, though:

Child M: You can get your children.
Miss Leah: M, I don't have any children.
M: No, when you get married.
L: What?
M: You can't get your children until you get married!

Given that last week I told her I was going to marry Superman, I wonder if she thought my children will have superpowers.

I just hope she remembers that advice in about 15 years.

A related story - I think I offended a parent last week. She asked what I did at my regular job, and I explained to her about clinical trials, drug testing, etc., and the first thing she said was "Do you do animal testing?" with obvious disapproval in her voice. I wasn't thinking, so I said, "No, we take the information from the animal testing and send it to the FDA." Which is true, but had I been more perceptive, I would've just said "No," which is also true. I, personally, do not do animal testing. Contract labs do our animal testing. But I don't think that that's the answer she was hoping for, especially given that she's good friends with another lesson parent who I know for a fact is a vegetarian. She didn't ask much else about what I do after that. But she did bring her kid back this week, so she couldn't have been too offended. Good times.

No comments: