19 August 2010

Catch A Wave (Day 6) [a.k.a. There Was More Than One Lobster Present At The Birth Of Jesus?]

Day 6 started with the return of the sun - yay! We got down to the beach bright and early, and even beat the lifeguards there.

Unfortunately, we couldn't stay too long, as we were supposed to meet my aunt for lunch. We did get in about three hours of beach time before we had to leave, though.


We headed back out Route 26 to a tiny restaruant in a remodeled old house called The Cafe. We had never been before, but it turned out to be an excellent choice. I had a very good crab cake sandwich there. The only odd thing was that my presence lowered the average age of the clientele by about half. It remindend me of the Little Old Lady land scene in The Producers, except I wasn't trying to get money from them like Max Bialystock. (A clarification - this is not a bad thing about the restaurant. It was most likely just a coincidence, as young people at the beach are probably more likely to actually be on the beach at lunchtime rather than at a nice cafe like this. I'd still highly recommend the place!)


After lunch, we headed down to Fenwick Island to do some shopping. First we stopped for gas. I tried to go to the bathroom at the gas station, but some guy who looked like Pete Campbell and had an Eastern European accent told me "we no have public restrooms." Because that's smart for a gas station. So instead, I got to pump the gas for everyone while they watched.


We went to a few shops in Fenwick. Let me preface this section by saying that I enjoy all of the places we went, and bought far too much stuff. However, the pictures likely do not reflect this - most of them are of the fugly crap that the stores were selling, not the quality merchandise. I would highly recommend any of these stores, especially the second one.





The first store -
Now, I am not Irish, but I do like green things. This place had plenty of those. Some cute (including a bracelet I considered buying), and some...well, let's let the picture speak for itself.
The next store was right next door, and is one of my favorites. I once made Niki walk all the way from her parents' beach house to this place in an effort to buy cheese, not remembering that they closed well before we set out on our journey. They have lots of cool stuff here, like this wealth of flamingo-themed kitchenware. You all may remember the logo from the container in my kitchen where I keep spatulas and wooden spoons and things; I bought a cutting board to match when I was there this time.


This store also has some more interesting wares, though. Like these...apparently, if you don't like the way your toilet looks, you can fancy it up a bit.








I also found these dolls, which reminded me of Conan's 1864 baseball sketch. (Seriously - if you haven't watched that video, do yourself a favor and go watch it. It's awesome, and it also makes the following picture that much funnier.)
We went to one more store. Our primary purpose was to visit their Vera Bradley section, but we also took a look at the stuff they had upstairs. Again, some cute stuff, like this elephant that I wanted to take home
as well as a few lamps that I liked.
They also had some...more interesting products for sale. For instance, a bowl coated in animal hide:
A vase decorated with...well, take a look and see if you can figure out what it is. Because there's only one thing I can think of that looks like that.
Here's another lamp, which was not quite as pretty as the ones I showed above. My thought process when I saw this one: "Ooh, polka dots! Ken would like this! No, wait, it's brown, she hates brown. Oh my gosh - is that a RABBIT? Yeah, the brown will not be why she hates this lamp."
And best of all - what I started to refer to as "The Godfather Collection."





Creepiness.


Anyway, after all of that shopping, we went out to dinner at a restaurant called NorthEast Seafood Kitchen (owned by the same people who own Blue Coast, another good restaurant in Bethany).






On Thursdays, apparently it's Lobster Night at NorthEast. A couple of these little fellows made their way to the table to meet us. (Heh...lobster always reminds me of that scene in Love Actually where Emma Thompson's daughter tells her that she's going to play the lobster in the Nativity play.)

We put them to good use, both eaten and non-eaten parts.

After dinner, we all headed home, where I put on my crustacean pants. I figure, after eating crab cakes for lunch, and Mr. Lobster for dinner, they were appropriate.

2 comments:

Ken said...

You always wonder what it must be like when the buyers for these kinds of shops go to market. What is the thought process? Do they know this stuff is awful, but also know that idiots will buy it? Do they personally like it?

Those items are awful. And I'm going to guess fairly expensive, too.

Leah said...

Oh, I know! And some of them were really nice, don't get me wrong. But yeah...then there's those that aren't. I wonder if they bought them at a discount and then marked them up a lot. (And you were right, they are way too expensive for what they are!)