19 September 2008

Sunshine Go Away Today

Or, rather, went away last Friday. As some of you know, I went to visit Niki, Derek, Jeni, Mrs. Brake, and some friends of Jeni's at the Brakes' new house at the beach last weekend. Unfortunately, the first day, Friday, was a bit cold and dreary. It was good for driving, but not so good for beach-sitting. When I arrived, I found everyone bundled up in warm clothes on the beach. Except for Derek, who insisted on wearing his bathing suit (you can see his legs behind Niki in this picture).
It was no warmer nearer the water. This is Jeni and Mrs. Brake in their beachwear.
After freezing on the beach all afternoon, Derek grilled steak in the backyard of the house. Mmm, steak.
Niki and I helped by supervising.
That evening, we went to play miniature golf at a viking-themed course. Derek made a friend while waiting to start.
After we got our clubs and scorecard, we were ready to start.
There were many other new friends to meet on our trek through Vikingland. Jeni and Niki met this charming fellow.
And I made the acquaintance of this gallant knight on his noble steed.
Mrs. Brake met Kangor, a more dangerous citizen of Vikingland. Don't worry, she made it past safely.
I wanted Derek to climb aboard this ship and pretend to be king of the world, like in Titanic, but he refused. I don't blame him - stupid movie - and clearly I wouldn't do it either.
He did, however, break the rules and try to climb into the troll's tree.
It was near the troll's tree that Jeni hit a hole in one. That is, if "one" were synonymous with "off of the green, out of the course, and across Route 1." Mrs. Brake went to fetch the ball for her.
Niki trying to make friends with another troll:
I found a nice place to rest while waiting for my opponents.
After the game (which, if I recall correctly, Jeni's friend Jason won...Niki, correct me if I'm wrong), Niki made friends with Brumbles, the Guardian of Go-Kart Land.
And I met Bubba, the keeper of this fine establishment.
After we finished our game, we made a detour to the tiny arcade, where Niki and Derek broke the air hockey table. Jeni and Niki fixed it, though. I helped by taking pictures.
Luckily, the weather cleared up for the rest of the weekend, and it was gorgeous on Saturday and Sunday. We were so busy enjoying it that I didn't take many pictures (unlike me, I know!). A few highlights: we ate ice cream for lunch both days at the happiest place on Earth - Candy Kitchen's Make Your Own Sundae counter. Saturday evening, we got crabs (the good kind), which were fantastic. And finally, Derek revealed his artistic side at the beach on Sunday by marking his (well, Niki's) territory:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

haha leah - you take so many pictures!