22 August 2010

The Entertainer, Volume 5 (Beach Edition)

This installment of The Entertainer is brought to you by my vacation. These are the books I read (or started and haven't finished yet) and the main movies and TV shows that I watched. Enjoy!

Title: 39 Years of Short Term Memory Loss
Author: Tom Davis
Why?: Because I like Saturday Night Live. I like biographies. And I like the 70s.
Three Thoughts: I...did not like this as much as I thought I would. I mean, it had some good stories, but the storytelling was very disjointed, jumped around a lot, and had a lot more non-SNL stuff than SNL stuff - I think either he was high when he wrote it, or the drugs he kept talking about rotted his brain quite a bit. A decent book, but if you want to read about SNL, read Live From New York or the spectacular The Chris Farley Show, which I really can not recommend more highly.


Title: Eat Pray Love

Author:
Elizabeth Gilbert
Why?: A number of reasons...I first saw Niki reading it, so it had been on my radar since then (and this was back when she lived in Baltimore, so it was a few years ago). And the movie just came out. I don't have any great desire to see the movie, but in the event that I change my mind, I wanted to have read the book beforehand.
Three Thoughts: I liked this a lot more than I thought I would, particularly the part where she was in Italy (which reminded me of my friend Maura, who now lives in Italy, which is entirely too far away). Gilbert is very likable in what could easily have turned into a whiny and/or holier-than-thou type of story. A good, quick beach book without being trashy (not that I have a problem with trashy ;-)


Title: Anchorman
Why?: Because it's awesome. I've seen it enough to know that. And for some reason, my parents got over their dislike of Will Ferrell and chose this one to bring to the beach out of my entire DVD collection.
Three Thoughts: Heh...as if I could cram my love for this film into three sentences! As Will Ferrell films go, particularly his starring roles, this is probably one of the least objectionable. The spectacular supporting cast helps, as does the plot and the historical setting. The 70s are never not funny, especially when populated by these people.


Title: It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Season 4
Notable Actors: Rob McElhenney, Charlie Day, Glenn Howerton, Kaitlin Olson, Danny DeVito
Why?: Because it is awesome (although not for the faint of heart...it's quite vulgar, too). And because I got this season as a birthday gift and hadn't watched it yet.
Three Thoughts: Awesome as always (although my previous disclaimer about vulgarity still stands!). Episode highlights include those entitled "Who Pooped the Bed?" and "The Nightman Cometh," although really, you can't go wrong with any of them. I can't wait for the next season to start next month :-)
Author: Peter Biskind
Why?: I'm not sure where I heard about this book, but it's about the changes in the movie industry from 1968-1982.
Three Thoughts: I'm a little bit in love with this book. It reminds me of Pictures at a Revolution, which I also loved and couldn't put down. It really does make me want to rewatch The List, something I haven't done since high school...maybe I'll rewatch chronologically this time, and blog about it ;-)


Title: The Switch
Notable Actors: Jennifer Aniston, my beloved Jason Bateman
Why?: Because Jason Bateman is my boyfriend.
Three Thoughts: This was far more enjoyable than I expected it to be. It moved briskly, and for a romantic comedy, wasn't too stupid. I'm the first to admit that my love for Jason Bateman knows no bounds, though, so take this review with a grain of salt - your mileage may vary.

No comments: