19 August 2010

Catch A Wave (Day 5) [a.k.a. I'm Kind Of A Big Deal]

So...y'all remember that rain from yesterday? Yeah...it might've been clear Tuesday night, but it picked right back up again during the night. It even woke me up. Effing rain. So we took this day to go shopping at the outlets. Knowing that this is a very, very popular activity for beachgoers on a rainy day, we set out early. We stopped for breakfast at a cute little restaurant on the way there (and also, on the way to Key West, apparently).
The beastly rain wrecked my hair.
After breakfast, we headed up to the outlets. I had great success at J. Crew, Ann Taylor, and especially Loft, where I got two new sundresses and a couple of very cute cardigans (including one in my favorite color, dark green, which is getting increasingly hard to find).
The outlets were surprisingly uncrowded at first, but that changed quickly. Very quickly. It was OK at first...people would let you cross the street without running you down with their car, no one acted like you were going to cut in front of them if you tried to get past them and they were in line, etc.
However, things went downhill very quickly. Shopping is a tiring activity. You have to be a seasoned shopper to stand up to something as strenuous as rainy day beach outlet shopping. Most of the people there? Not that seasonsed. An admirable effort, and extra snaps to anyone trying to train their children to shop that day, but yeah. You didn't succeed. You just made yourself and your spawn tired. And cranky. And you got in my way, and tried to kill me and my peeps in the parking lot. Fail. You should know better than to get in my way. I am a master shopper, and should not have to endure such idiocy. An example: the line at Old Navy. See that window, far in the distance? That's where the line ended. This type of shopping is not for the faint of heart.
On the way back to Bethany, we stopped at Happy Harry's to pick up a few things. And saw this. Now, I don't own a Snuggie, but I once bought one as a gift for a very good friend who is often cold and went to the school whose logo was emblazoned on the thing. I would not personally use one, but I can see their merit. Behold - the stupidest Snuggie ever. I mean, seriously. Why on earth would you want to use one of these on a beach? Beaches are hot! Why why why would you want to cover yourself with a thick layer of terry cloth?!
Finally, we returned home. We were tired. We ate sausage dip and chips and doritos and other various leftovers for dinner. This was not a bad thing. I also got my parents to watch a Will Ferrell movie. Surprisingly, they seemed to really enjoy it (although my mother was quite upset about the scene where "the man punted Baxter"). (This line, however? Never. Ever. Ever not funny.)
After Anchorman, there was another Scrabble game, and then we all retired to bed. Shopping amongst crazy people and eating sausage dip are tiring activities!

No comments: