09 June 2008

Everyone else is doing it, so why can't I?

Because I am a big copycat, I have decided to follow in the footsteps of Mary and Taryn and start a blog. As they are much more exciting than I am, with their spawn and their Rat Zapper 3000, I am sure their blogs will prove to be much more entertaining. But blog I shall, nonetheless. Given that I spend much of my spare time at the aquatics facility of my esteemed alma mater, I'm sure swim lesson stories will be plentiful. Goes well with the blog name :-)

Today's installment is about the weather, with a bit of everything thrown in. Now, I have very little patience left for this ridiculous weather. I spent the weekend at a wedding, the reception for which was held in a hotel that had mediocre air conditioning. My room was all right, but apparently the bride's parents' suite, in which all of the children were being babysat, had no air conditioning whatsoever. Not a good time. (Disclaimer - other than the heat, and one other tiny problem, the wedding was freaking fantastic. Pictures'll be on Facebook eventually. My mother did the polka with the bride's grandfather.) So yes, am losing patience with the heat. But I am also losing patience with people who are cancelling things because of the heat!

Incident #1:

We were to have a retreat for our group at work tomorrow. It was rescheduled (for the second time - last time was rain) because of the heat. Now, this is slightly understandable - no one wants to be outside all afternoon in the heat. But I have a ton of cookies and watermelon now that were to go to the retreat tomorrow that will not last until the new date, which is at the end of June. People in Frederick - want some cookies and/or watermelon?

Incident #2:

A swim lesson parent called me this afternoon at work. Now, today was crazy busy. The Party Planning Committee (don't ask) hosted Diversity Day (again, don't ask), which took up a good bit of my time. I have a gigantic project that needs to be done, like, yesterday. And it was Monday, so I had tons of people procrastinating their work to talk to me (like I usually do on Mondays too). I had very little time for swim lesson parent stupidity. So this lady calls me and wants to cancel because of the heat. She doesn't want to go to a swimming pool. With cold water. That she can get in. And there are umbrellas. And water fountains. And, hell, an air conditioned indoor baby pool in which she has no problem letting her other kid run amok all last summer! No one else had a problem with the heat. And by no one else, I mean the two other parents whose kids had lessons tonight, both of whom have newborn babies that they brought along. Arrrggh. I rescheduled her for Wednesday (which, if I had realized why she was bailing at the beginning of the conversation, I would've made her wait a week), so I'm sure more stories will follow after that.

So, first one. I promise they won't all be me complaining about stuff. Well, they probably will. But maybe the next one will have pictures.

OK, maybe this one will too. This is my mom doing the polka with the grandfather of the bride. Because it's cute and it makes me happy.








2 comments:

Ken said...

There are no words for that photo. I will never forget your mother yelling at all of us because we never quite "got" the polka in social dance class...

Mary and Larry Smerk said...

Ah, the polka. Enough said.