26 January 2011

The Entertainer, Volume 12


Author: David Sedaris

Why?: Because David Sedaris is awesome.

Thoughts: Not my favorite of his books, but at the same time, it was different from most of them, so I don't know if a comparison is fair. The stories were shorter, and more like fables...fables with a very dark comedic twist. I'd recommend it if you are a fan of his work, but if not, or if this would be your first of his books, try a different one instead.



Notable Actors: John Candy, my beloved Steve Martin

Why?: Because I love Steve Martin. And this kept showing up in holiday movie lists in November, and I realized I had never seen it.

Thoughts: A classic 80s comedy, a classic holiday comedy, a classic everything. A few of the things are a bit dated - pay phones, not being sure if you have a credit card (or better, carrying a Diner's Club card), etc. But that doesn't change the fact that it's a lot of fun, and that it deserves to be put on all of the "Best Thanksgiving Movie" lists that it's on.


Title: Red

Notable Actors: Bruce Willis, Morgan Freeman, Helen Mirren, Mary-Louise Parker

Why?: Because it got nominated for a Golden Globe. And because it either looked like it would be good, or laughably bad.

Thoughts: Verdict = good. Not nearly as much of a retirement farm movie as I had feared (in which studios trot out old actors and make them do stupid and/or contrived roles in order to make money). Mary-Louise Parker was a very welcome addition...she makes anything she's in better. Funny in parts, and the action moved enough that it didn't drag. I'm glad I didn't pay to see it in the theater, but it's well worth the addition to any Netflix queue.




Notable Actors: A bunch of Australian people who you probably haven't heard of, but should.

Why?: One of the actresses was nominated for an Oscar for Best Supporting Actress. And, it got a 97% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Thoughts: See, you guys? This. This is why I try to watch as many Oscar-nominated movies as I can. Because without that, I never would've found this one, and it was awesome. Jacki Weaver's character actually reminded me a bit of Angela Lansbury in The Manchurian Candidate, and if you know me, you know that is high praise. You should definitely add this one to your Netflix queue.


Title: Toddlers and Tiaras, Season One

Notable Actors: A bunch of little kids and nutjob parents

Why?: Because it's like a train wreck...you can't look away.

Thoughts: I am kind of a little bit in love with this show. And it's everywhere, too - I thought it was just crazy southern people, but then they showed a pageant in Pittsburgh and also one in New York. Also, it meshes well with the Real Housewives franchise...if you're a fan of those, you should definitely hunt this one down :-).

Title: You Again

Notable Actors: Jamie Lee Curtis, Sigourney Weaver, Kristen Bell, Kristin Chenoweth, Betty White, Victor Garber, and the chick who is married to the guy who plays Justin in Brothers and Sisters.

Why?: Because I like Veronica Mars. And Kristin Chenoweth. And I liked Betty White before it was trendy.

Thoughts: This was exactly what you'd expect out of a romantic comedy, but on the good side of it. Funny, albeit over the top at times, and with a good cast. These actors save the plot from itself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I watched "You Again" last week. I enjoyed it. I also love Kristin Bell & Kristin Chenoweth. I told Sarah she would have a problem with the awkward parts :)