23 January 2011

The Entertainer, Volume 11

Notable Actors: Zac Efron, Jessica AlBiel
Why?: Because I have an age-inappropriate crush on Zac Efron
Thoughts: You guys know the story of how Sarah and I laughed all through The Notebook and the crying ladies around us were glaring at us? That was what it would've been like if I'd seen this one in the theater. Melodramatic, overacted, trying to be romantic and just coming off as creepy and cheesy...that was this one. Actually, that movie poster pretty much sums it up - comically bad. That being said, Zac Efron? Pretty. So pretty. And if that makes me a dirty old lady, then so be it.

Notable Actors: Colin Firth, Geoffrey Rush, Bellatrix LaStrange, Wormtail, Dumbledore the Second, and a bunch of super cute corgis
Why?: See: Colin Firth
Thoughts: I absolutely loved it - the story was just the right depth, balanced by brevity and of course spectacular acting. I will say this, though, at the risk of sounding like an idiot - it is disturbing when big-name British actors who have been in Harry Potter films do other, more serious things. It's freaky enough when it's good guys like Dumbledore, or people who have been in lots of other things to balance the bad guy she plays, like Helena Bonham-Carter. But whoever cast Wormtail as Churchill must've been high. Even if I didn't spend half the movie expecting him to turn into a rat, I still didn't quite think the actor was the right fit for the role. (But do not let this discourage you - this charming film is one of my favorites of the year.)

Title: Howl
Notable Actors: A bunch of cool kids - James Franco, Mary-Louise Parker, Bob Balaban, Treat Williams, David Strathairn, and my boyfriend Jon Hamm, among others
Why?: See the list of actors
Thoughts: I think I liked this one...I definitely liked the courtroom scenes, when they were trying to decide if Ginsberg's work was obscene. And the scenes with Franco as Ginsberg. And I respect what they were trying to do, interspersing the poetry reading and graphics with the more grounded biographical and courtroom storylines. But yeah...I don't like poetry. Try as I might, it bores and annoys me. And every time they diverted from the storylines to the poetry, I lost interest. That being said, I still think I liked it. Except for the poetry.

Title: The Town
Notable Actors: Ben Affleck, that guy from The Hurt Locker, once again my boyfriend Jon Hamm
Why?: A coworker recommended it. And again, Jon Hamm.
Thoughts: I liked this way more than I thought I was going to. I mean, I thought I'd like it, but I really liked it. An interesting twist on your standard action/bank robber-type film. And the Affleck doesn't hurt. Also, I seem to have developed a strange affection for movies set in Boston suburbs.

Title: Cyrus
Notable Actors: John C. Reilly, Catherine Keener, Marisa Tomei, Jonah Hill
Why?: Because I like John C. Reilly. A lot.
Thoughts: I thought this one would be funnier. I mean, I knew it wasn't your standard John C. Reilly/Will Ferrell type comedy, but the reviews all called it a black comedy, and it really...wasn't that funny. Interesting, if strange at times, and difficult to figure out some of the characterization. I'm feeling rather mediocre about this one...when Netflix asks how I like it, I'm going to give it three stars out of five.

Author: Charlaine Harris
Why?: Because I read all the others, and this one is next.
Thoughts: This one was just like all the other ones. Not that that's a bad thing - it moved the plot forward, and you learn more about the fairies, which was interesting and exciting. And that's all I say, for fear of ruining the plot for future readers. Just know that you should read this series and watch True Blood.

Notable Actors: Jay Baruchel, Jonah Hill, some other famous voices
Why?: I like dragons.
Thoughts: I really shouldn't have watched this film...I want a pet dragon of my very own now. This movie was very cute - I have no complaints. It's no Toy Story 3, but I'd classify this one as one you can take your kids to without wanting to stick things in your eye halfway through. And again, I like dragons. And Jay Baruchel.
Title: Country Strong
Notable Actors: Gwyneth Paltrow, Blair Waldorf (whose hair was as big as she was), Tim McGraw

Why?: Certainly not because I like country music. But I do like movies about music. And big hair.

Thoughts: This was...eh. It wasn't awful, and the actors all did a good job, especially Paltrow. But the plot and character development were lacking in certain ways. Also, it was quite a depressing little film, although that kind of helped save it rather than hurt it. I'd tentatively recommend it, as long as you don't go into it expecting a cinematic masterpiece.

1 comment:

Ken said...

I agree about Dead and Gone--I'm almost finished with it and it is good, but not one of the most memorable books in the series.