04 January 2011

The Entertainer, Volume 10


Notable Actors: Tim Allen, Tom Hanks

Why?: Because I love the first two.

Three Thoughts: OMG, you guys. I watched this like two months ago, and I think it was in the time when I lost track of what I was reading and watching and forgot to blog about half of it. And I don't know how on earth I could've forgotten about this one, because it's seriously the best movie I've seen so far this year. Everything about this film is perfect - suspense, sadness and happiness without being sappy, nostalgia, the plot itself. You guys know how I have no soul and don't cry at movies? If ever there was a movie to break me, it would be this one. I don't care if it's about toys. It's just that fantastic. I can't elaborate without giving away plot points, but yeah. Watch this movie. Put it at the top of your Netflix queue, and do it now. (Here is a good review from a critic I really like and usually agree with, if you want to read more.)


Author: Carl Hiassen

Why?: Because my boss handed it to me and told me I'd really like it.

Three Thoughts: Hiassen's so much fun, and this book totally proves it. The crazy, south Florida world he creates fits perfectly with the organized chaos and hilarity of the story. I haven't read too many of his books, but this one is definitely one of my favorites.
Title: Inception

Notable Actors: Leonardo DiCaprio, Cillian Murphy (who looks a heck of a lot like Tom Welling in this), Ellen Page

Why?: Because I'm trying to get a head start on seeing the Oscar Best Picture nominees, and I have a feeling this will be one of them.

Three Thoughts: This was quite the freaky little film...but I liked it better than Black Swan, which was the last freaky, critically praised one I saw. Very intricate, but I don't think overtly or gratuitously so. I'd recommend it, if you're willing to pay attention to it. (That being said, the number one thing I felt after watching it was how much I really wanted to rewatch Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Now THERE is a kickass movie about dreams.)

Notable Actors: The same lot as the last time I talked about it, with the addition of some hot guys and Julia Stiles.

Why: Because I like it. And it takes a lot for me to break up with a show when we've been through so much together.
Three Thoughts: Much less frustrating than last season, which was nice. Although, can I just talk about how creepy it is when actors I like play serial killers? I mean, Michael C. Hall is bad enough, but at least he's the good guy. You've already made me afraid of John Lithgow, show. Must you make me be scared of Eli Stone, or that guy who went to my high school, or Morris from ER (who I always really liked, despite the fact that he was kind of supposed to be a jerk)?

Notable Actors: A bunch of cartoon characters

Why?: Because I used to watch it back when I hated MTV and this and music videos were the only thing I would watch
Three Thoughts: You know how sometimes, you go back to a show you watched as a kid, and you think "Wow...this is really stupid. I respect its place in my history, but yeah...this DVD is getting sold on eBay or swapadvd.com." Daria is not that show. It's even better from an adult perspective - hilarious, but not in a juvenile sense, and easy to watch but not mind-numbing. Go find it, especially if you used to watch the show back when it was on MTV. Five seconds of the theme song and you'll be right back there again.

Notable Actors: George Michael Bluth, Ann Veal, and some other people like Jason Schwartzman and Superman who are nowhere near as cool as they are
Why?: Because I like Michael Cera.
Three Thoughts: You know, I speak Nerd well enough that I can get by, but it's movies like this that show me where my knowledge is lacking. I enjoyed it, it was a lot of fun, but I wish I had more background before I watched it. That being said, I have friends who I think would really really like this one (who I believe read this blog...comment if you think I mean you ;-)

Notable Actors: The same lot of them that are in all of these movies. And, Jon Hamm! That was a nice surprise, even if we don't get to actually see him.
Why?: Because I like Shrek.
Three Thoughts: You know how Toy Story gets better with every sequel? Shrek, not so much. I mean, it didn't suck, but what was clever in the first one is pretty much just a repeat in this one. Apparently it was 3-D in the theaters, which probably would've made it a bit more exciting, but I have to tell you, 3-D doesn't really impress me. And it doesn't help one bit when you're watching it in your living room as procrastination for cleaning after putting away your Christmas decorations.

No comments: