16 October 2008

Why Debate Politics When You Can Make Fun Of People's Clothes?

Sometimes I wonder if Cindy McCain and Michelle Obama call each other before each public outing that they attend, just to see what the other is wearing.

"Hey, Michelle, this first debate looks like it'll be pretty casual. What do you think?"
"Yeah, Cindy, I agree. I was thinking floral. Something bright and friendly that will bridge the gap between summer and fall fashion, since it is still September."
"I agree, Michelle. Good plan! I think I will go with a pants suit. Still professional, but not as dressy as a skirt suit. Remember, we have to make sure we have room to move up on the scale of formality as the campaigns progress!"
"Good idea, Cindy. Make sure you wear a bright color - you wouldn't want to get lost on that stage!"
"All taken care of, Michelle."

And thus, their outfits for the first debate were planned:

Clearly, they'd have to mix things up a bit for the next debate.

"Cindy! Did you see the pictures? We looked FABULOUS!"
"Indeed we did, Michelle. So, what were you thinking about for the next event?"
"Well, I'm not sure...it's getting to be fall, so I think florals might be a bit out of place. Plus, I think we should be a bit dressier this time. We want to look like First Ladies, not someone at their husband's office picnic, making nice with the boss's wife."
"Agreed. I think I shall go with a skirt suit this time."
"An excellent plan. What color were---"
"Dibs on blue!"
"DAMMIT. That means that I have to wear red, since any self-respecting political wife wouldn't be caught dead in a color that isn't on the flag. I bet the stupid carpet will be red, too. I'm going to blend in and no one will be able to see me!"
"Sucks to be you. Should've jumped in faster."
"Yeah, I know. I'll get you next time."

Then, the third debate last night:

"OMG, Michelle, did you see how awesome those pictures turned out from the last debate? That is so my new Facebook picture."
"For you, maybe...I look like part of the rug! I totally call dibs on blue this time."
"Fine by me. You know we can't wear the same color to two events in a row, especially if our outfits look the same."

"Correct you are. Unfortunately, I only have one style of dress."
"Yeah, I have the same problem. I know, I'll dress up my suit with giant gold buttons! My husband was in the Navy, so it'll just look like I'm supporting his military history by dressing like a sailor!"
"That doesn't make any sense, but whatever floats your boat. Get it? Boat? Because he was in the Navy?"

And thus, we have last night's wardrobe. Unfortunately, no one thought to warn Michelle Obama that the background was blue, so she met the same fate she had in Nashville. Luckily, most people were blinded by Sailor Cindy's bling, so no one noticed. Not that they could see her anyway.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

awesome

Melissa said...

You are such a dork. Will you critique Mrs. Biden and Mrs. Sarah Palin next? Oh sorry, he's the "First Dude".

Leah said...

When Mrs. Biden and Mr. Palin start showing up in color-coordinated outfits like these two, I'll be all over that. Although if Mr. Palin shows up in a red pants suit, I think we have bigger problems than just blending into the carpet.

Ken said...

Haha--love the fictional conversation. 'Cause we all know that "Michelle" and "Cindy" are BFF and probably have each other programed into their Blackberries ;-) At least Cindy McCain refrained from the neon Barbie clothes colors she wore at the convention along with her hot pink wrist brace and Michelle Obama stayed away from dresses that make her look like a blood clot. Patterns are fine, but they need to be bold if you're wearing them on TV... Too bad we didn't think of this before--we could have had a fashion discussion between our blogs throughout the campaign!

Leah said...

Seriously! We have a few weeks left. I'm sure there'll be plenty more bad wardrobe decisions (although I do love Cindy McCain's blue suit. The color suits her very well. As does that dark red Michelle Obama is wearing at the same event...it's a shame the carpet ate her, becuase the color looks pretty on her.)

Melissa said...

Mr. Palin and Mrs. Biden might be coordinating, have you checked? Lots of things match business suits. I think Mr. Palin in a red pants suit would be fabulous!