13 October 2008

All For Three Small Payments of $19.99!

So, today is one of those special federal holidays that no one has off from work except for government employees and contractors. Apparently no one cares about Columbus or Veterans except for the government. Works for me, though! Instead of spending my day studying, or doing some of the work that I brought home from last week because I'm currently two people's worth of work, I instead have been watching television and sorting through old papers that I've been meaning to file. A moderately productive set of activities - I watched the entire first disc of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (which was awesome, and I wish I'd gotten more than one disc from Netflix), and made a significant dent in the paper pile. However, when I ran out of It's Always Sunny, I started watching sitcom reruns on cable rather than any of the million DVDs I have. Let me just tell you, there are some interesting commercials that they play during the day. I've seen the following commercials for the following products and events multiple times:

-Bodily improvement products such as Bio-Oil and Hydroxycut
-Various types of laxatives and hemorrhoid creams

-Malpractice lawyers
-Cleaning products (but not normal ones...weird complicated things sold on infomercials)
-Syndicated game shows that I didn't even know had been resurrected
-Numerous different educational advancement institutions
-The switch to digital television signals this spring

Apparently everyone who watches TV on weekdays is unhappy with their body, has lower GI problems that possibly resulted from medical malpractice, and sits around in their filthy houses watching game shows rather than going to school. But they want to make sure that these people know that, come February 17th, they won't be able to watch TV anymore without cable.

On that note, I just found the episode of Full House where Uncle Jesse and Becky get married. Jesse decides he wants to go skydiving as a "last adventure," and ends up in jail in "Tomato Country." Hijinks ensue. I am going to go rot my brain watching that so I'm extra-productive when I finally sit down to do the work I brought home. Thank you, Christopher Columbus!

3 comments:

Ken said...

Oh, yes, "Tomato Country." I had forgotten about Tomato Country. What? Is this supposed to be in CA? Maybe they went with tomato instead of wine because of the children who watched?

I watched the new Unsolved Mysteries yesterday ;-)

Leah said...

I've always wondered that! And the cop in Tomato Country looks suspiciously like a redneck version of Scotty from General Hospital. Which it very well may be, it was the 80s and I'm sure he's friends with John Stamos from their shared tenure there. I should look that up.
And I'd go to wine country over tomato country any day!

Mary and Larry Smerk said...

you forgot male enhancement...yes the commercial does come on in the middle of the afternoon and not just during Poker after Dark on NBC.