22 March 2011

The Entertainer, Volume 15


Author: Sara Gruen

Why?: Because I saw the trailer for the upcoming movie and wanted to read the book first. The fact that the movie comes out soon, and that numerous friends have read and enjoyed it, moved this book to the top of The Stack.

Thoughts: I blew through this thing in under three hours. To be fair, I was on an airplane for the vast majority of it, so it had my undivided attention. But I didn't even drink, and for a book to distract me from airplane drinking, it must be good! Then, of course, I finished it before my flight was over, and all of my other books were in my checked luggage, so I turned into that chick who's watching stupid movies on her laptop and drinking airplane wine.

But I digress. This book was delightful - just indepth enough, and a story just engaging enough, to drive you through it quickly but not so much that it's forgettable. Don't worry if you think circuses are creepy - I do, and yet, I loved this book. I'd recommend it. And stay tuned for my movie review at the end of April.


Notable Actors: No one, really, except maybe Jennifer Lawrence, who got an Oscar nomination

Why?: A coworker had told me it was good, so it was already on my Netflix queue when it got its Best Picture nomination. The nomination is what moved it to the top (although I did fall short on my goal of seeing all ten before the awards. But I knew neither True Grit nor James Franco Cuts Off His Arm had a prayer of winning, so I wasn't really stressing about it either).

Thoughts: Coworker was correct - it was definitely good, and Lawrence's performance is laudable. I found the characterization and cinematography to be very accurate and effective, at least from the perspective of this girl who's never set foot in the Ozarks. That being said, it was extremely depressing, although I do suppose it has a happy ending. I'd highly recommend it, but be prepared.
Title: Cedar Rapids

Notable Actors: Ed Helms, my beloved John C. Reilly

Why?: John C. Reilly. Whyever not?

Thoughts: This one? Pretty good. I'll have to rewatch to determine just how quotable it is, but after one viewing, I approve. It didn't have as much of the zaniness that, say, The Hangover had, but the characters were decently developed and the plot fairly self-contained. I'd recommend it.

Notable Actors: Bill Paxton, Jeanne Tripplehorn, Chloe Sevigny, Ginnifer Goodwin

Why?: Because it takes a lot for me to break up with a show once I'm this far in, even if it did annoy me as much as the fourth season of this one did.

Thoughts: It just kept right on going with the annoying...going into the series finale, I could count on one hand how many characters were left who I didn't want to punch in the face. That being said, I really enjoyed that final episode. There were a number of nostalgic and/or poingnant moments, and while it didn't redeem most of the characters, it did remind me why I didn't always want to punch them. And then the last two scenes wrapped everything up really nicely. And that is all I will say about that because I don't want to ruin it for everyone. Just don't break up with it when it gets bad unless you, at the very least, skip ahead to the finale.

Title: Dinner for Schmucks

Notable Actors: Paul Rudd and Steve Carell, both of whom are so, so much better than this swill and who I hope got paid very handsomely.

Why?: Honestly, I don't even know. I might've been blinded by my love of Paul Rudd.

Thoughts: I watched half of this on a Wednesday, and it sat in my DVD player unfinished until I got home from Happy Hour on Friday. You would think the residual alcohol would help me enjoy the last half. You would be wrong. This was just...stupid. And not in a good way. Just look at Carell's expression on that poster and you'll see what I mean. Oh, and Paul Rudd's expression is pretty much how I feel. That being said, I've heard the French film upon which this was based is excellent. Stay tuned to see if I ever wind up watching it.

No comments: