26 July 2010

The Entertainer, Installment 4


Notable Actors: Julianne Moore, Annette Bening, Mark Ruffalo

Why?: Because I like said actors, and had heard good things about the film.

Three Thoughts: The characters were underdeveloped and bordered on stereotypical, and were rather unlikable to boot; however, the plot was interesting even if I thought the ending rather abrupt. Also, apparently if you're a lesbian, or the child of a lesbian, or the sperm donor for two lesbians, you do not have to brush your hair. Overall - good, not great; I'd neither encourage nor discourage viewing.


Notable Actors: Dakota Fanning, Kristen Stewart

Why?: Because I like musical biopics.

Three Thoughts: I can't help but think of all the Twilight fans who will rent this to see Kristen Stewart, and likely be very disturbed. Also, I can't think of a time when Dakota Fanning didn't creep me out a little bit. Despite that, I liked this one very much (perhaps because of my aforementioned love of musical biopics).


Notable Actors: John C. Reilly, Seann William Scott, Jenna Fischer, Jason Bateman for a few minutes

Why?: It was recommended by a coworker who shares my taste in stupid R-rated boy-oriented comedies. Also, see "Notable Actors." Specifically Reilly; my love for that man knows no bounds. And I want to marry Jason Bateman.

Three Thoughts: Good, but not great, especially given the cast. It certainly had its funny moments, though. I would be curious to rewatch it and see if it becomes more quotable.

Notable Actors: Will Ferrell, Marky Mark (minus the Funky Bunch)

Why?: Because I love Will Ferrell as much as I love John C. Reilly. Actually, I love them best when they're together, but this was close.

Three Thoughts: Pretty darn awesome, although not as good as some of Ferrell's finer work, like Step Brothers or Anchorman. Would've done better to have more vulgarity and insanity and less plot (like Step Brothers), or a funnier plot (like Old School), but definitely nothing I wouldn't rewatch looking for quotable bits. And surprisingly, less filthy than some of his other work.

Title: You Know You Love Me: A Gossip Girl Novel


Author: Cecily von Ziegesar

Why?: Because I read the first one and they're like crack so I can't stop.

Three Thoughts: While not as good as the first, things get a bit more stirred up in this one. Further character and plot development as relationships are shaken and Blair's mother's wedding is planned and takes place. The third and fourth are on their way from Paperback Swap, and better get here before I leave for the beach on Saturday!

No comments: