07 July 2010

The Entertainer, Installment 3


Author: Kate Walbert

Why?: It showed up on a bunch of best-of-the-year lists last December, and I thought it looked interesting.

Three Thoughts: It's about the descendents of a British suffragette who starved herself for her cause; a good story, and very interesting, although kind of depressing. I would've appreciated a bit more character development, and a bit more detail to the story, rather than the vignette-esque glimpses into each woman's life. That being said, it was interesting, and a rather quick read; I wouldn't not recommend it, but I'm not raving about it.



Why?: Because I think Paul Schneider is super hot, and I've never found anything touched by Zooey Deschanel that I didn't like.

Three Thoughts: I feel like with these actors, I wanted to love it, I should've loved it, but I just...didn't. It kept reminding me of Garden State (which is usually a good thing, you know how I love Garden State!), but with less intelligent characters and a much, much less likable plot. Also, I don't like the feeling of wanting to smack either Paul Schneider or Zooey Deschanel, which I greatly wanted to do...maybe rewatching it would help?


Author: Cecily von Ziegesar

Why?: Why not? It's summer. It's the season when I watch Real Housewives and Jersey Shore, the season where I change handbags and tote bags every week, and the season when I first discovered my beloved Summer Sisters. It's the season to have fun! That, and the show is slowly making its way to the top of my Netflix queue; I figured I better be prepared.

Three Thoughts: This was like Valley of the Dolls meets NYC Prep - I freaking loved it. I'm not proud, and my brain may rot if I were to read the rest of them all in a row without something more stimulating in between, but I don't care. Quick, simple, and entertaining - perfect beach trash, and I ordered the next few from Paperback Swap so I could actually read said trash on the beach next month.



Why?: Well...I saw the other two. I read all the books. It would either be enjoyable, worth making fun of, or worth hating (but I'd need to see it to know why it should be hated).

Three Thoughts: Chances are, whatever you think you will think will be pretty accurate - you'll either love it because you love Twilight, you'll hate it because you hate Twilight, or you'll find it mediocre. Bella's still a doormat, Edward's still a paternalistic jackhole, and Jacob's still smitten and shirtless. However, this was my favorte of the three movies so far - the plot was handled well, the acting had improved greatly (although no one is winning any Oscars here), and there were even one or two humorous bits.


Notable Actors: Colin Firth. How I love thee. Also Julianne Moore and, for a split second, Ginnifer Goodwin.

Why?: Colin Firth. The 60s. Why on earth wouldn't I see this?

Three Thoughts: Would someone please explain to me why Colin Firth does not have an Oscar for this movie? His performance in this lovely, yet terribly sad, film couldn't have been more perfect if he tried. Also, I would like a time machine so I could live in the 60s and dress like Julianne Moore's character, please and thank you.

No comments: