16 March 2010

I Could Not Love You Any Better

I'm sure all of you are going through as much Glee withdrawal as I am. However, they have been filming the new season, and spoilers are starting to leak. One such spoiler has to do with a much-anticipated guest spot from the illustrious Neil Patrick Harris (and seriously, he's awesome - click those hyperlinks!), who is playing an old nemesis of my boyfriend, Mr. Schuster. His character is going to sing two duets with Mr. Schu. The first is Aerosmith's Dream On, and the second is an undisclosed Billy Joel song. Given the character description, I have a few thoughts.

First of all, it's likely one of his more popular songs. They don't usually pick obscure tunes for this show, and it's not like Billy Joel is at the forefront of the minds of today's teenagers. (Not that he shouldn't be - those kids would do well to listen to more Billy Joel!) Unfortunately, that eliminates some of my favorite Billy Joel songs, including Summer Highland Falls, Stiletto, and Falling of the Rain.

Next, we can pretty safely eliminate anything with bad words or connotations in it. This takes out such songs as Captain Jack, I've Loved These Days, Sometimes a Fantasy, and Keeping the Faith. (Incidentally, I had never seen the Keeping the Faith video until I found that link. Holy crap is it awesome. If you click no other Billy Joel link here, click that one.)

The next category to eliminate is anything with a name that doesn't match a character on the show. This takes care of Laura, Downeaster Alexa, James, and the story of my last few days with respect to my thesis, Why Judy Why.


Any overtly political or historical songs can also likely be eliminated. This gets rid of Goodnight Saigon, Leningrad, and sadly, my beloved We Didn't Start the Fire.

This brings us to songs that might fit into the plot of the show. Given what they've said about NPH's character - he's an old rival of Mr. Schu's who had false hopes given to him by his prowess in glee club - I could see it being a song in which he expresses his anger, like Angry Young Man. Or perhaps something about how Mr. Schu is more beloved than NPH - Everybody Loves You Now, or the reverse - Mr. Schu singing about how everyone liked NPH better, with Big Shot or An Innocent Man. They might still be rivals - My Life would work here, or Movin' Out. Or maybe they're fighting over a girl, and they've changed Just the Way You Are or She's Always A Woman into a duet. If it's a girl who's too good for either of them, Uptown Girl would also work, or The Longest Time if they want to stick with an upbeat number. And then there's Piano Man. I can't think of a scenario for that one, but it would be awesome nonetheless.

What do you think? Vote in the poll!

No comments: