17 January 2010

What Do Tigers Dream Of When They Take A Little Tiger Snooze?

As you probably know if you've spoken with me in the past week or so, the Golden Globe Awards are tonight. I love the Golden Globe awards, and as usual, have spent far more time than usual analyzing the nominations. I've come to a few conclusions about some of the major film awards:

Best Motion Picture - Drama: This is a really depressing lot of films. To be fair, I've only seen two and a half of them at present, but let's go through the list. A technologically gorgeous film that says that, basically, in the future, Americans will be evil and aliens will be good and the Americans will kill all of them because of undescribed and unjustified capitalist greed (Avatar). A very well made and realistic film about the war that, no matter how expertly done, is still not what I'd call uplifting (The Hurt Locker). Nazis and Tarantino (Inglourious Basterds). Another reportedly depressing film about an obese minority girl with a wretched family situation (Precious). And a sleek, shiny film about firing people (Up in the Air). How is a girl to choose?! Well, I'll omit the one that made me want to smack it for being preachy and having a crap plot (Avatar). I'll also omit the two I haven't seen (Inglourious Basterds and Precious), because it's easier that way :-). Which leaves me with one that is depressing, realistic, and topical, and one that is depressing, pretty, and topical. Normally I'd go for pretty, especially when that pretty is Intern George, but in this case, I'm picking The Hurt Locker. I feel like the war will resonate more than the country's economic difficulties, although I'd be OK with either. As long as it's not the overrated and vapid Avatar, I'm happy. And either way, this category is like a freaking ray of sunshine...I feel like they should hand out Prozac to the voters after they've viewed the nominees.

Best Motion Picture - Comedy or Musical: I like when I've seen the majority of the nominated films in a category. Well, I do as long as I agree with the winner (case in point - last year's Oscar Best Picture race.) Such is the case for this category. The only one I haven't seen is It's Complicated, which I don't think has much of a chance anyway. Of the others - Nine was gorgeous. I love Rob Marshall, and you all know my weakness for musicals. And check out the trailer - isn't it fabulous? I could watch it all day. However, it was missing this little thing called a plot, which is kind of important for moviemaking. When your movie compantion turns to you an hour into the film and says "Tell me again what this movie's supposed to be about?", you know there's a problem. Julie and Julia was carried by the spectacular performances of its lead actresses, but may be a bit too frothy to win - much like the aforementioned It's Complicated. Which leads me to two of my top ten movies of the past year - The Hangover and (500) Days of Summer. I have a great weakness for vulgar comedies like The Hangover. I quote them like it's my job. (Actually, I often quote them AT my job). And this one has the added bonus of a talented cast; an intricate, well planned plot; and this - one of the greatest moments in cinema in all of 2009. I'd be thrilled if it won. That being said, if I were a member of the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, my vote would be for the endearing (500) Days of Summer. While it's a bit depressing for the category (maybe it should've been in the other one!), it's an overall lovely film. Go rent it. Now. Go on, I'll wait. And buy Zooey Deschanel's CD while you're at it.

Other Awards: As I haven't seen all of the nominated performances and animated films, it's a lot harder to judge them than it is the films as a whole. Therefore, I give you this list, generated purely out of my personal preferences: Emily Blunt (even though she's marrying John Krasinski). Colin Firth (for obvious reasons). Meryl Streep (same thing). Joseph Gordon-Levitt (see above regarding (500) Days). Up (which was a delight, and deserves everything it's won so far). Anna Kendrick (even though I'd bet money that it'll be Mo'nique). Stanley Tucci. And Kathryn Bigelow (because anything that involves James Cameron losing is OK with me).

No comments: