12 September 2009

More Than A Ceiling

This weekend I decided to take care of a task that I'd been procrastinating...painting ceilings. While I've painted many a wall in my time, I've never done a ceiling before. After fixing the nail pops in the ceiling to the best of my ability, I taped the walls, starting with the green bathroom,
and then the guest room. I also put dropcloths and plastic sheets on the furniture and windows.
A word of advice - use wide tape. I taped the bathroom with tape that was about an inch wide, rather than the two inch tape I used in the guest room, and it did not do such a good job protecting the walls if the roller got too close.
After I taped the walls, I took a break to finish Disc 3 of Season 4 of Supernatural so I could send it back to Netflix. This was a very important part of the process.
That being completed, I returned to the painting, starting with the edges.
A very talkative cashier in the paint department about Wal Mart had recommended the paint, which was very cool. It looked purple in the can,
but faded to regular old ceiling white as it dried.
It also faded to white when you got it spattered all over yourself. An example:
I also got paint in my hair, but luckily, it came out when I washed it. Unlike when I painted the week before Mary's wedding, and still had paint in my hair when we were getting our hair styled. Whatever that brand was, it certainly was long-lasting.

It said to let the paint dry for at least four hours before adding a second coat as needed, so I moved on to disc 4 of season 4 of Supernatural to occupy myself. I'm very good at multitasking like that. And it distracted me from watching the paint dry - I was worried that it would need a second coat, which I did NOT want to do, so it was good to go elsewhere. I also made a quick trip to Mt. Airy to feed Holly dinner while my parents were at a play in DC. By the time I returned, it was time to take the tape off of the walls and see how everything looked. And it looked pretty good - yay!
There are still a few places that aren't quite dry on the guest room ceiling, but hopefully they'll dry overnight and the color will even out. And if not, well, it still looks better than it did with the nail pops that it had. The bathroom ceiling looks great. There are a few spots on the walls that are now white, because of the roller being larger than the stupid thin tape I used, but those will be easily fixed once I did the green paint out from under the stairs.
Oh, and also? Painting ceilings is hard work. My arms hurt now. And it's not nearly as fun as painting walls a color. White is boring (although the purple helped).
At least it was a productive day - two ceilings done, and am almost caught up on Supernatural enough to watch it in real time this season. A win-win-win situation, as Michael Scott would say!

2 comments:

Ken said...

Very nice! I am SO not looking forward to painting my ceiling, but I will definitely use wide tape ;-)

Leah said...

Yeah, be prepared for a full body workout, too. I hadn't realized how little I used my shoulder muscles since I stopped swimming...