30 March 2011

The Entertainer, Volume 16





Title: Love and Other Drugs

Notable Actors: Jake Gyllenhaal, Anne Hathaway, Hank Azaria

Why?: I like Anne Hathaway. And I like drugs. (Not like that.)

Thoughts: I...really enjoyed this. I have very little patience for insipid romantic comedies, and less patience for movies where the womanizing man-whore is won over by some pretty girl who must have some magical powers or whatever. That being said, this one was still pretty endearing. Part of that is my great love for Anne Hathaway, and the fact that the plot was related to the pharmaceutical industry helped. I'd be interested to read the book upon which this one was based, too, because apparently it's more about the drugs and less about the romance.


Title: Fair Game

Notable Actors: Sean Penn, Naomi Watts

Why?: Because I saw a commercial for it and remembered that it existed, and it was at the top of my Netflix queue because it had just come out.

Thoughts: This one is an interesting spy story, based on what happened to Valerie Plame Wilson. Both actors do a good job, although I kind of thought Naomi Watts was a bit too delicate to believe as a CIA agent. The plot is easy enough to follow, and the film's not too long, which means it doesn't have the problems I've encoutered in similar films. Interesting, and the fact that it's true makes it that much more so. I'm going to try to hunt down her book, so stay tuned for a report on that (although if you've seen the size of The Stack in my living room, it may be awhile before I get to it).


Title: Hot Fuzz

Notable Actors: Half of England

Why?: It'd been on my Netflix queue for awhile, but a gentleman friend is a fan of the film and was appalled that I hadn't seen it, so that helped get it seen sooner.

Thoughts: Rather enjoyable, as long as you're a fan of British comedy. The characters were amusing, as was the plot, and while the ending dragged a bit, it was still pretty awesome. Definitely worth watching. (And it's fun to play place-the-British-actor-in-the-British-movie while you watch!)



Title: Due Date

Notable Actors: Robert Downey Jr., Zach Galifianakis

Why?: Because Downey and Galifianakis are awesome.

Thoughts: Pretty awesome...not the best I've seen from either, but definitely a good representation of the genre. I wouldn't recommend it if you're not a fan of the R-rated male-focused comedy, but if you are, this one's worth it. Definitely funny, and while ridiculous at times, it doesn't stray too far from the plot or become too stupid. At least, in my opinion...like I said, if you're not into the genre, you may disagree. (That being said, every time I watch Downey in a comedy, it just makes me want to watch Tropic Thunder again. I maintain that if Heath Ledger hadn't died, that Oscar race that year would've been a lot closer.)


Title: To Be Or Not To Be


Notable Actors: Mel Brooks, Anne Bancroft


Why?: Because Mel Brooks = awesome. We were discussing our favorite Mel Brooks films the other day at work, and a coworker mentioned this one and I'd never seen it and felt like a failure.

Thoughts: A good representation of his work, set against the backdrop of World War Two. Which was even more fun given that one of my favorite Brooks films is The Producers, and there were numerous references and repeated/similar lines throughout this one. Don't be stupid, be a smarty, and add this to your Netflix queue.

Title: Vanity Fair's Tales of Hollywood

Author: Lots of people

Why?: I saw it advertised in Vanity Fair a year or two ago, and it finally made its way to the top of my Paperback Swap wishlist.

Thoughts: This is a collection of Vanity Fair articles discussing specific films between the early 1940s and mid 1980s. They hit some of my favorites (The Graduate, specifically), as well as a few that I'd not seen but will be adding to my Netflix queue (The Magnificent Ambersons and The Sweet Smell of Success). Definitely an interesting book if you're a movie nerd like me, although I have a sneaking suspicion that you could find most of the articles archived online somewhere.

No comments: