16 December 2010

There Was More Than One Lobster At The Birth Of Jesus?

So last night, we went to look at Christmas lights around Urbana and New Market. Very exciting - we do this every year, with the exception of last year, when it got derailed by Snowpocalypse 2009. Our main attraction is a coworker's house, which has a million of those blow-up yard decorations. Sadly, there are no pictures because it was too windy for him to have them blown up yesterday. Don't worry, we have thoroughly chastized him for this misstep.

We saw many lovely light displays - wreaths, spotlights that looked like snowflakes, pretty trees, candy cane lights, etc. However, Christmas light watching brings me to a major Grievance: when people mix religious and non-religious decorations. You know, I don't care if you have a nativity scene, or if you have Santa and Rudolph and Frosty in your yard. That's your choice, which route you want to go - I'll make fun of it if it's fugly, and enjoy it if it's not, no matter which type you choose. But for the love of God, why why why would you put up a nativity scene with Santa in it? Santa wasn't present at the birth of Jesus! Go to the store, look at the nativity scenes - no Santa! At the very least, why on earth wouldn't you want to put them in separate parts of your yard, like little individual stories, so you don't look like an idiot?

Yeah. This is totally going on the list for Festivus.

It's supposed to snow today. I wore my new fuzzy boots. I think I've jinxed the snow now so we'll get nothing.

**Disclaimer: I commend these people for being excited enough about Christmas to put decorations up at all. Lord knows my outside decorations leave much to be desired. But their lack of thinking and organization and regard for what the decorations mean? Drives me batshit.

No comments: