09 September 2010

The Entertainer, Volume 7


Author: Frank Deford

Why?: I read a review of it somewhere on the internets, and it's about swimming. And the Olympics. And World War Two. Why on earth wouldn't I read it?!

Three Thoughts: This book is pure awesome, and I would highly, highly recommend it. Very readable without being simplistic, with a story that drives forward at just the right speed and complexity. I really, really want them to make it into a movie.




Notable Actors: Larry David, and guest starring Ben Stiller, David Schwimmer, and the ever fabulous Mel Brooks

Why?: Because I'm making my way through the series so I can get to the Seinfeld reunion episode.

Three Thoughts: This was probably my favorite season so far (although those who are fans of the more stand-alone episodes may disagree). The main storyline has Larry starring as Max Bialystock in The Producers, and Stiller, then Schwimmer, co-starring as Leo Bloom. Most people who read this blog probably know of my love of The Producers, and can therefore understand my pleasure with this season; the season finale alone is fabulous.


Title: Nurse Jackie, Season 2

Notable Actors: Carmela Soprano, Mr. Jennie Garth, and Merritt Wever, who deserves a good role after being stuck in the infuriating Studio 60

Why?: Because I watched Season 1. And I liked Season 1 very much.

Three Thoughts: I liked Season 2 very much, too. This show is awfully dark to be called a comedy, but it has its moments, and the storyline is engaging enough to compensate for the darkness. I think Edie Falco does an exceptional job, too (although I don't know that I would've voted for her for that Emmy she won).



Notable Actors: Michael Douglas, Charlie Sheen before he became a walking STD

Why?: Because we want to go see the sequel.

Three Thoughts: I love movies that were made in the 80s. This one unsurprisingly reminded me of Bonfire of the Vanities, but not as accidentally funny. And also, Daryl Hannah sucks and I hope she's not in the sequel.

Title: The Days of our Lives

Author: Ken Corday

Why?: Because I used to watch Days of our Lives like it was my job. I would tape it every day (and this was back when all we had were VCRs), and watch it after school.

Three Thoughts: This man REALLY loves this show - not like a fan, but just as someone whose family's whole life was based around it. It reads almost like a love letter - even those stories that aren't so happy are told in a reverential manner. I'd definitely recommend it if you've enjoyed the show in the past, but don't expect it to be the best book you've ever read.




Notable Actors: Claire Danes, Julia Ormond, Catherine O'Hara

Why?: Because it won a bunch of Emmys, and it showed up on Netflix as coming out on DVD last week.

Three Thoughts: This made-for-TV movie, which was based upon a true story - was all kinds of fantastic. The acting was exceptional - especially Danes, about whom I am usually ambivalent- and the story was engaging and very well-told. Add this to your Netflix queues, you will not regret it.

No comments: